Local governments often own and operate a solid waste landfill for final disposal of the majority of solid waste generated within the local government's jurisdiction. While new approaches to managing municipal solid waste, such as encouraging source reduction and increasing incentives for recycling, have reduced the burden on existing landfills, there will always be a need for land disposal.
LGEAN resources most applicable to landfills include:
Solid Waste. Provides a summary of issues including national waste generation rates, landfill capacity problems, and landfill and incinerator regulations. This resource also includes links to numerous useful documents.
- Hazardous Waste. Many local governments must deal with hazardous wastes both as a hazardous generator and as the responsible entity for protecting landfills and other municipal solid waste collection/disposal operations from hazardous waste disposal. Use this resource to learn more about federal and state rules.
- Construction and Demolition Debris. Provides an overview of C&D debris issues and links to useful documents and tools.
Groundwater replenishes our streams, rivers, habitats and also
provides fresh water for irrigation, industry, and communities.
Provides EPA published Ground Water Rules (2006).
Additional resources (exit LGEAN):
EPA Landfill page. Provides an overview of landfill issues and numerous links to useful resources.
- Solid Waste Resource Locator. The solid waste resource locator contains links to state regulatory agencies/departments and state regulations covering solid waste topics, including recycling.
- RCRA/Hazardous Waste Resource Locator. The rules for managing hazardous waste can vary from state to state. Find your state's regulations, along with permit forms, guidance, contact information and other helpful resources. Deviations from federal regulations are highlighted.
- Universal Waste Resource Locator. Some common items (batteries, pesticides, etc.) may be exempt from hazardous waste rules. Find out which items are designated as Universal Wastes in your state, link to state regulations, and local contacts at state agencies for more information.
- Construction & Demolition Debris Resource Locator. Locate regulatory information and other compliance assistance, lists of C&D landfills, and pollution prevention resources for your state.
- Regulated Medical Waste (RMW) Resource Locator. Learn how medical wastes are regulated in your state. Link to the rules and compliance resources and locate persons you can contact in your state agency for additional assistance.
- TSD & Recycling Facilities Locator. Use this on-line directory for locating hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal (TSD) and recycling facilities.